PSY 4320 Week 2 Assignment 2 Gender Expression and Development Recent
Reviewed a variety of media characters, analyzing how male and female characters are portrayed, and responded to the following questions:
· What are some common themes and characteristics?
· What messages do these send to young children about gender roles?
Also, critically evaluated the scientific evidence for gender differences in a variety of areas, such as social roles, cognitive abilities, education, self-esteem, and self-confidence.
Addressed the following:
· Emotional expression of gender: How did the social cultural aspects of media, observational learning, and other factors influence your perception of gender-appropriate emotional expression?
· Social expression or expectation of gender: Is there a difference between genders in terms of expression of responsiveness to babies or nurturance? Do we encourage little boys to express feelings aggressively and little girls to articulate and verbalize their emotions?
· Geographic expression or expectation of gender: Are there differences within or across various cultures and geographical areas?
· Personality expression of gender: What does personality have to do with expression of emotions?
Physiologic expression of gender: How do hormones and physiological changes impact emotions?