N 582 Module 1 Assignment and Discussion
Start by reading and following these instructions:
You are responsible for minimally at least 3 posts for each question in your discussion boards; your initial post and reply to two of your classmates. Your initial post(s) should be your response to the questions posed in the Discussion Question. You should research your answer and cite at least one scholarly source when appropriate, and always use quality writing. The discussion board is never a place to use text language or emoticons. You will also be asked to respond to your classmates. This is designed to enhance the academic discussion around the topic. It is all right to disagree with something posted by another, however your responses should always be thoughtful and respectful and reflect your opinions professionally.
Identify a behavior in the healthcare setting that you would like to change that involves extinguishing an undesirable behavior and replacing it with a healthier behavior (e.g., getting cardiac patients to reduce their high-fat diet and eat healthier foods; getting patients with low back pain to minimize their pain and become more independent in their activities). Describe how the behavior could be changed using the principles of a particular learning theory. Then describe how the same behavior could be changed using a different theory. Depending on the behavior to be changed and replaced, you might also discuss why one plan might work better for men than women, or for younger people than older people.
When you are ready for the discussion, do the following:
- Click on the discussion link above.
- Start your answer by clicking “Start a New Thread” button with the title of your answer and the body of text following the guidance above.
- To properly post your answer, please click on the “Post” button.
- After posting your contribution, you must read what others have posted, reply to at least two of those posts, and respond (when appropriate) to those you have responded to you.
To reply to a classmate’s post:
- Click on the title of another student’s post.
- Click “Reply to Thread” and type your response to the student.
- Click the “Post” button to post your reply.
Remember to submit your work following the file naming convention FirstInitial.LastName_M01.docx. For example,
J.Smith_M01.docx. Remember that it is not necessary to manually type in the file extension; it will automatically append.
Start by reading and following these instructions:
1. Quickly skim the questions or assignment below and the assignment rubric to help you focus.
2. Read the required chapter(s) of the textbook and any additional recommended resources. Some answers may require you to do additional research on the Internet or in other reference sources. Choose your sources carefully.
3. Consider the course discussions so far and any insights gained from it.
4. Create your Assignment submission and be sure to cite your sources if needed, use APA style as required, and check your spelling.
Critical Thinking Exercises:
- How can the learning theories be used in combination to change behavior and enhance learning?
- You are a staff nurse preceptor, and you find that the nurse orientee you are working with has difficulty understanding the idea of titrating drug dosages on the basis of physiologic data. A weakness in which type(s) of learning might be underlying this problem? In addressing this orientee’s difficulty, what other information would you collect?
- You are preparing to counsel a nursing students who is failing a nursing course: How would your approach differ if you base your counseling on Self-Efficacy Theory versus Attribution Theory?
- If you are a clinical preceptor in a health care agency, how could Social Cognitive Theory assist you in teaching your preceptee?
- List and briefly describe the ways that each of the major learning theories—behaviorist, cognitive, social learning, psychodynamic, and humanist—can be used to increase a behavior. Then, list and briefly describe the ways that each of these major theories can be used to decrease or extinguish a behavior.
N 582 Module 1: Theoretical Foundations of Teaching and Learning
Theoretical Foundations of Teaching and Learning
Module 1 provides a theoretical foundation for understanding, selecting, and adapting specific teaching strategies to the educator’s setting and diverse learner needs. The basics of the most commonly used learning theories will be presented, as well as an overview of learning styles that influence the educational process.
After completing this module, students should have the knowledge and skills to:
- Differentiate among the basic approaches to learning as articulated in the various learning theories
- Synthesize the commonalities of the principles of learning
- Apply each theory to change the attitudes and behaviors of learners in specific clinical and educational situations
- Outline alternative strategies for learning by matching learning styles and learner characteristics to instruction.
- Assess the differences and similarities in the learning theories specific to (a) the basic procedures of learning, (b) the assumptions made about learning, (c) the task of the educator, (d) the sources of motivation, and (e) the way in which the transfer of learning is facilitated.
- Evaluate the state of the evidence pertaining to the application of learning theories and principles
- Bastable, S. B. (2014). Nurse as educator: Principles of teaching and learning for nursing practice (4th ed.). Boston: Jones & Bartlett. (Chapter 3)
- Bradshaw, M. J., & Lowenstein, A. J. (2014). Innovative teaching strategies in nursing and related health professions (6th ed.). Boston: Jones & Bartlett. (Chapter 1)
- DeYoung, S. (2015). Teaching strategies for nurse educators (3rd ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall. ISBN: 978-0-13-179026-1 (Chapters 1, 2 and 3)
Recommended Supplemental Reading
- Emerson, R. J. (2007). Nursing education in the clinical setting. St. Louis: Mosby. (Chapter 2 and 3)
For education to be effective, the nurse educator must be knowledgeable not only about the subject matter being taught, but also about the teaching learning process. Application of learning theories and an awareness of the unique viewpoints of the various schools of educational psychology enhances the ability of the nurse educator to be effective in achieving the goals of instruction. Learning theories can aid in understanding not only how people learn but also why they sometimes act the way they do and why certain teaching strategies work in a particular situation while others do not. While theories are important for guiding the development of the educational intervention, there are an number of other factors that influence learning, such as motivation, learner characteristics, educational needs. Comprehending the various learning styles allows the educator to intervene when learners are having difficulty or enhance effective learning to make it even better.
As presented in this module, successful educational interventions result in learning. This takes into account the learner’s unique characteristics, is based on the most appropriate theory for the given situation, and presented in the most likely manner to attain success. The goal of any intervention is to meet the educational needs of the learner.
As part of the nursing culture and as required at Aspen University, you should be building a portfolio. Therefore, you will need to select a professional development that you have written and modified after feedback from your instructor for possible inclusion in a portfolio, that will demonstrate that you have met course outcomes. It is your responsibility to keep these artifacts in a safe place for presentation in your portfolio. More information about portfolio is available in the Nursing Student Cafe.
This first discussion assignment is intended to help each student set a context for the course, establish expectations and goals for the course, and provide insights to the instructor enabling tailoring of the course to better fit the needs of the students. Replies to discussion questions must be well considered and scholarly. A quality initial response to the Discussion Question should be roughly 400 words.
Every course you take should provide the knowledge and skills useful in the real world. Not every course will directly link to every task that you perform in your life or current employment, but learning how to review data, develop data analysis, critical thinking, and writing skills are all needed to convince someone that you can think critically and solve problems. Your ability to pull together and leverage information, insights, and lessons from a number of disparate disciplines in novel ways could be precisely what is needed to stay ahead of your competition and give you a competitive edge.
Your first task is to learn about the course and discover how the skills provided in this course are relevant to you. You will prepare for, post, and engage in a discussion with your classmates and your professor.