Checklist And Module 1 Article Document 3
Checklist And Module 1 Article Document 3
Directions: This checklist is provided to assist your group in selecting an appropriate research article to complete the weekly Critical Thinking/Research Critique assignments. This checklist serves as a valuable guide as your group searches for an appropriate article for this assignment. Your coach will not be grading the actual checklist but will use it in approving your submitted publication. Submit the completed checklist with your article you are submitting for faculty approval.
· All members of the group should select an article meeting the criteria, then as a group, select one of the group member’s article. It is suggested you keep the other articles just in case you need to resubmit a second article. Establish a deadline for the selection of an article keeping in mind the need to address some specific questions related to the article and meet the established deadline.
· Please review this checklist as a group prior to submitting your group selected research article for this assignment.
· When all the group members participating in this assignment believe ALL the stated criteria has been met, please place a checkmark in the provided box.
· Submit this checklist with the full text selected article in PDF format in the provided dropbox along with the Module 1 document.
· Do not submit a web link to the selected article as this will result in a deduction on your first critical thinking submission.
Checklist Criteria for your Article Selection:
Not Met Checklist And Module 1 Article Document 3
1. Our group selected a quantitative primary (data-based research study, written by the researchers* who conducted the study) research article (you may select a pilot/feasibility study as long as it meets other checklist criteria) (You may or may not find words in the abstract such as study, investigation, the aim of this study; look for headings such as Method/Design, Sample/Participants, Data Analysis, Findings etc).
2. Our group selected a peer review quantitative research published between May, 2018 and July, 2019 or if it is a quarterly publication, starting January, 2019 -to current date). Do not submit an accepted draft of an article/manuscript. It must already be published in a nursing professional journal and can be located within the specific publication.
3. Our group selected a study whose first author is a registered nurse (you should see RN behind the first author’s name or there may be an identification within the article that the first author is a registered nurse-typically on the first or last page of the publication. If the credentials of the author are not identified, then you will need to select another article)
4. Our group selected a study published in a peer reviewed NURSING journal (i.e. nurses are the primary audience for the journal; journal for nurses usually (but not always) have nurse/nursing in the title).
5. Our group selected a study from either a national or international journal; however, the entire study must be written in English including references. If you select an article from the Journal of Nursing UFPE on line-while the text of the article is in English, frequently some of the references are not in English. This would not be appropriate for this assignment unless the references are also provided in English.
6. Our group selected a study that includes a population/sample that uses human subjects/participants. (Animal research is not appropriate for this assignment unless it is a study with humans engaged in animal therapy etc.).
7. Our group selected a study with descriptive statistics related to data analysis and answered the question below:
7a) Descriptive statistics were identified on page_____Please note: if the term “power analysis” is present, it does not address this criterion; it is another research concept and does not address either descriptive and/or inferential statistics Checklist And Module 1 Article Document 3
7b) An example of a descriptive statistic found in the study was_________
8. Our group selected a study with inferential statistics (but not advanced statistics- we did not select a study that used the following for statistical analysis: path analysis, modeling or uses the word “model” in the analysis technique like causal modeling, multiple regression, factor analysis, linear models, time series, data mining techniques, odds-ratio and logistic regression, plots, plotting or plot method-refer to page 299 of your text ) related to data analysis and answered question 8a below
8a) Inferential statistic(s) were found on page______
8b) An example of an inferential statistic found in the study was_________
Additional Resources to assist if needed:
· View your statistics notes, or LoBiondo-Wood & Harper textbook for the class (Chapters 9 and 10 may be helpful)
· Read pages 327-328 (8th edition) and page 299 in the 9th edition, avoid these advanced statistics
· Data Analysis may also include descriptive statistics but may not solely use this type of statistics.
Please note: if you read the words “power analysis” it does not address this criterion
9. Our group reviewed Library Guides found under Course Orientation and Overview; or accessed the following website:
10. If needed, our group or select group members contacted the PUC Library Scientist, to assist with searching. (Please note: The librarian is not responsible for finding your articles, approving your article, and /or APA format; only your course coach/faculty will approve your article.
11. For students previously enrolled in the class, no group members have used this article for this assignment previously even if assigned to another coach/faculty for this class.
12. We are aware points will be deducted from our /my Module 1 Article Document assignments that does not meet all of these checklist criteria. Hint: Please be sure your selected publication refers to both descriptive and inferential statistics-this is where groups frequently experience the point(s) deduction.
13. We have reviewed all the criteria, the DO NOT choose list below and the article we are submitting for faculty approval in pdf format meets all the criteria listed above. Type your group letter/number assigned to your group in this box. Name of group member(s) who specifically participated in this assignment:
14. Name of Group member(s) who did NOT participate in this assignment: _______________________________________ (a zero (0) grade will be earned on this Module 1 Research Article Document assignment for any group member who did not participate in this assignment after faculty verification.)
For the “Selection of a Research Article Assignment”, please DO NOT choose any of the following types of research studies or
articles for this assignment:
· Qualitative research article
· Informative article
· Concept Analysis
· Quality Improvement Project (avoid studies that indicate it is project)
· Project Development/Implementation (Project/ Observational study that discusses a project (many times these are identified as projects for Doctorate of Nursing Practice requirements, you may find the credential DNP behind the first authors name; however, some authors with DNP credentials may engage in primary research so look for the word “Project” in the article, sometimes found in the abstract or under the heading “Methods” Checklist And Module 1 Article Document 3
· The title or purpose of the article states “Review of the literature OR narrative article OR integrated/integrative reviews OR systematic review of the literature”. (Please note: the review of the literature is a step in the nursing research process, so you may find review of the literature as a heading in the text of an appropriate research article but avoid if it is in the title or purpose of the article.)
· Research report in a secondary source (i.e. not written by the researchers that conducted the actual study) or secondary analysis
· A research report published as part of an article/module for continuing education units (you may find “CEU” or “CU” on the first page of the publication and may have a short quiz at the end of the article)
· Mixed method (multi-methods) design (i.e. both qualitative AND quantitative processes used in the study.
· Clinical Guidelines
· Systematic reviews
· Secondary analysis
· Program/Project Evaluation-***this is a common error that has been made in the past; please make sure your selected article is not a program or project evaluation.
· A survey/tool/questionnaire/instrument development study (typically the article will indicate that the research focus is tool development in the title or purpose of the study. The purpose may state: The purpose of this research is to test/develop a survey/tool/ questionnaire/measurement/instrument to measure____ or something similar)
**Faculty highly recommends that you avoid studies with large data sets (refer to page 299 of your text )multiple variables (multivariate analysis with resultant data) or higher level statistical analysis. Previous students seem to be more challenged when choosing studies with large data sets. Your faculty may notify you that your selected article has a more challenging data analysis procedure and to submit another article. However, your group may have an advanced statistical background and may select not to submit another article. If this is the case for your group, please discuss this with your assigned coach.
Do not select these articles (Please note: if you select one of the following articles it will not be approved and result in a 2-point deduction (please do not request an exception as this will not be given):
Ahmadi, M., Bagheri-Saweb, M.I., Nouri, B., Mohamadamini, O., & Valiee, S. (2019). Effect of Interventional Educational Programs on Intensive Care Nurses’ Perception, Knowledge, Attitude, and Practice About Physical Restraints: A Pre-/Post-Clinical Trial. Critical Care Nursing. 42, 106-116. doi: 10.1097/CNQ.0000000000000244106
Alenezi, A. M., Aboshaiqah, A., & Baker, O. (2018). Work-related stress among nursing staff working in government hospitals and primary health care centres. International Journal of Nursing Practice, 24(5), 1-8. doi:10.1111/ijn.12676
Aloush, S.M., Abdelkader, F., Al-Sayaghi, K., Tawclbeh, L., Suliman, M., Al Bashtawy, M., & Shaban, I. (2018). Compliance of nurses and hospitals with ventilator-associated pneumonia prevention guidelines: A Middle Eastern survey. Journal of Nursing Care Quality, 33(3), E8-E14. doi: 10.1097/NCQ.000000000000028. Checklist And Module 1 Article Document 3